Thursday, December 4, 2008

Nature's will

On 8 October 2008, a tornado struck Grahamstown, tearing houses apart and uprooting trees. At about 10:30 am, Masisa Bans was inside her house in Hlalani location doing washing when she noticed a dark cloud looming outside and the wind began to howl.

“My whole house started to shake and hail pounded down on my roof,” says Bans. Before she could make her way outside to see what was going on, the roof of her house was lifted and blown off. “I was in the living room and the walls just collapsed”.

Grahamstown’s police spokesperson, Milandi Coetzer stated that 11 people were injured and 65 left homeless by the tornado that swept through Grahamstown, lasting approximately half an hour. In the Scott’s Farm area, 15 houses were damaged and in the Vukani Location 7 houses lost their roofs.

South African weather services spokesperson, Garth Sampson said that the thunderstorm was caused by a low cut-off and that it was not surprising that a tornado occurred given these conditions.

On the other side of town, Erica Papu, a worker at DulcĂ© restaurant had no idea what had happened to her house on “N” Street in Hlalani Location.

“My mother phoned me and said ‘You have to come home. You don’t have a house anymore,’” says Papu. “I thought she was exaggerating, but when I got home my house was gone. I tried to search for my belongings, but everything was damaged”.

Beauty Jamela, another resident from Hlalani Location was watching television in her living room when the tornado hit. “I’ve lived in Grahamstown for 43 years and I’ve never seen a storm like that,” says Jamela.

An emergency disaster meeting was held at the Makana municipal council chambers to make arrangements for the people affected by the tornado. Those left homeless were housed in community halls and blankets and mattresses were provided by Settlers Hospital and the South African Defence Force.

“The community halls were crowded and they only gave us one small blanket for ourselves and our children. The municipality must learn to act quicker,” says Lulu Nonxuba, a resident from Hlalani Location.

The Makana Municipality has implemented a relief programme which is providing those affected with temporary accommodation, however their response appears to be slow leaving many residents frustrated.

“The municipality did not give us one zinc to rebuild our houses. My sister gave me money to buy a new roof but I’m keeping all my receipts and they must pay. We have waited too long,” says Nonxuba.

“My name is not on the list for a house and I don’t know why. I am unemployed and now I must pay to rebuild my house with the money from my children’s grant. This was not my fault. They seem to be helping the people who were not badly affected first, when people like myself don’t even have a house anymore. Where does the municipality think we are staying,” says Erica Papu

No comments: